In a team with another designer, we were working on understanding users and their pain points when interacting with the website.
Designing an engaging experience which addresses business requirements and measures an increasing number of positive user experiences with the website.
We conducted user research, analysed qualitative and quantitative data in order to design a solution which we build in WordPress builder.
Thinking.Studio’s website was not the correct representation of the company and what the company was offering as a service.
This led to lost opportunities with potential clients who could not establish a connection with a company and wouldn’t get a clear understanding of what services were offered.
One of the indicators of the issue was a huge drop off from the website.
Our Clients need a way to understand how Thinking.Studio can help
them to solve their problems because when they are visiting the current website
they can not understand what the company is offering.
The goal of the meeting/workshop was to understand what stakeholder assumptions were around a problem and what they thought about the website performance.
We also wanted to highlight what were expectations and how we will measure success.
We wanted to conduct a set of evaluations exams in order to judge if the website would comply with recognized usability principles
Some examples of what we discovered:
Consistency and standards
The language around actions was inconsistent which could lead to user confusion
Aesthetic and minimalist design
Some sections had a big amount of text and some had irrelevant information
User control and freedom
Some pages were missing an easy way to exit pages
Help users recognize, diagnose, and recover from errors
The error message had no solution to an issue
Current Assumptions of Issues
Based on the stakeholder’s interview, heuristic analysis of the website and by checking analytics we highlighted 3 main assumptions of what could be the issues.
Lack of understanding what the company
Poor representation of the company
The focus of the interview was to address our assumptions which we identified earlier. We also wanted to gain a better understanding of the users, their goals and pain points.
During the interview, a few people expressed their frustration towards the website's inconsistency and that they were having a hard time understanding what Thinking.Studio was offering as their services.
Those findings supported our assumptions and helped us to shape a more detailed understanding of what our clients were looking for.
Looking at Google Analytics helped us to analyse current users flows and their interactions within the website.
77% drop off from landing page
The desktop was most prefered
Only 10% of the potential target audience was interacting with the website
Unfortunately, we were not able to isolate why the drop off was happening. However, we were able to identify the potential critical issues on the website. Key Findings:
The survey was decided to be created and sent to the client and potential clients in order to confirm and narrow down our findings.
One of the areas was focusing on having a better understanding of what would the reasons “WHY?” users could visit Thinking.Studio website.
Case Studies and Examples
Another area we wanted to get better clarity on was an understanding of reasons/motivations of the clients to start looking for a potential supplier.
When I need to find which vendors are out there
When I am trying to understand the challenge we are facing
Reflecting on our client behaviours and types, we were able to develop a persona.
Data analysis also helped us to shape our learning into more detailed personas type.
This analysis helped us to understand what bigger organisations offer and how they represent information on their website. We were also seeking the inspirations of how other organisations represent what they offer.
The analysis also helped us to highlight what potential clients find interesting and what they are looking for on a competitor’s website.
Creating simple wireframes was a helpful way to start designing the structure on how the information will be display on the website and what are the flows between pages.
The Information Architecture was created with our persona type in mind and their online behaviour and preferences.
By creating simple IA we were able to start imagining how the website structure was going to look like and what information should be quicker to access.
Finalised design mockups, later recreated by myself and another designer in WordPress builder.
This was a great challenge as we needed to think like developers and consider all the aspects of the online website such as breaking points and how the information transform on all the devices.